My Career, Sans Ladder

April 16, 2006

Jump already!

Turns out Scott Adams (Dilbert creator) writes a pretty decent blog. In particular, I liked his "Pleasure Unit Theory":

People organize their lives to get their minimum required units of pleasure. While individuals vary in terms of how many units of pleasure they need, everyone is striving to reach their personal minimum.

I think it helps explain the whole blogging/blog reading thing...if I've had a crappy day at work, then I know I can come home, read thru my favorite blogs and get a minumum amount of pleasure in for the day. The problem is when the "striving to get the minimum" becomes a habit, even when you're ready to do a bit more work to get to that next level of pleasure. Like electrons, it's not a linear increase to get to that next energy (or pleasure) level, instead it takes a big leap, and sometimes when you can't see what's on the other side you're content to stay where you're at.

Well here's a reminder...don't be afraid to jump!

Related: Seth Godin's "Understanding the Local Max"


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home